Thursday, May 13, 2010

Is there really a point?

Life is complicated enough without obsessing about food to the point of expecting perfection.  Wake up, live, eat, continue to live, eat some more, live some more, go to bed.  Of course there are different variations of this, but that's basically what it should be.  And that's how things used to be for me, when I was younger.  I had a great appetite, would eat until I was full, then forget about it until the next meal.  I wasn't constantly thinking about what I should or shouldn't be eating, planning the next meal, craving, or feeling guilty about anything.  This is ultimately the relationship I would like to have with food.  I want to satisfy my appetite without over-thinking it.   The amount of energy that I give to this is tremendous.  Researching nutrition can become all-encompassing, because there is no end to information and nobody really has any final word on what the "optimum" diet is, if that even exists.

So once again I begin to question whether or not this information is really useful to me or not.  I really don't know.  I'm on the fence between becoming more stringent with my food choices, or with just eating good foods and not thinking too much about it.

There are aspects of my life that I feel are being ignored in an attempt to find the perfect way of eating.  Perhaps there is a way to integrate everything together, rather than having to choose one over the other.   I find this extremely difficulty, and will usually give up one interest if I find another, rather than finding balance.  But this hasn't worked for me in the past, so maybe it is time to try something new.

No comments:

Post a Comment